Sunday, November 4, 2007

P2F - Trick-or-Treat Birding

Day 39 - Wed Oct 31: My pledge to Fledge efforts today were not in school. It was during the traditional Halloween begging for candy festivities.

In my best birder's get up, I was strolling my neighborhood with a blonde versions of Mulan and Diego. We were crossing paths with all sorts of monsters, ninjas, and the popular ultra-trampy vampires.

When did this costume become so popular among young teens anyway?! We are hoping this trend changes before our daughter tries asking for fishnets for her 13th Halloween = (

Sorry for that daddy dread moment. Now, let's return to our regualrly scheduled posting . . .

Anyway, I stayed in character throughout our candy gathering route. I was pointing out birds to every group of kids we encountered. Unfortunately, the starlings and sparrows did not impress terribly many kids. A very vocal mockingbird did capture some positive attention. The real nice oohs and aahs were initiated by a low saoring Red-tailed Hawk. I was able to get a few different groups on this very cooperative bird!

No comments: