Sunday, November 4, 2007

P2F - Teaching through Talons

Day 40 - Thurs Nov 1: Both the starting gun and finsih line for my school day was in the form of raptors.

While chatting with a colleague about our plans for the day, I noticed an incongruous bounce in the pine tree outside her window. I rushed over to the window just as a fairly large bird regained its balance enough to perch upright. I immediately noted the brown-streaked buffy breast of an accipiter.

Margie asks, "what do you see now?"

With some guidance, I was able to get her on the young female Sharp-shinned Hawk just before it flew away from us. I took a few minutes to explain the plumage differences between immature and adults. With an artist background, she was intrigued by the gray and orange combination.

As I was leaving in the late afternoon, a student was also leaving the soccer game. We exchanged pleasantries in passing. Then, a silhouette buouded over his head. The pointed wings, slender body, and longish tail screamed AMERICAN KESTREL!

Seeing the surprise on this kid's face, I realized it was actually me that screamed kestrel. I was able to get his eyes on the bird just before it dropped out of sight behind a row trees. He asked something ot the effect of, "what is a kestrel?"

he had just seen the smallest falcon in North America. His heartfelt reply spoke volumes, "Cool!"

Impressing a 6th grade boy with a momentary glimpse at a kestrel is no small feat ; )

No comments: