Thursday, January 3, 2008

P2F - Don't Get My Hackles Up!

Day 69 - Thurs Jan 3: As you can probably imagine, there are times in class where I need to be a bit more . . .

Hmmm - what's the right word? Tough? Strict? Stern? Evil?!

A student chose to disrupt the class today. I tried addresing the behavior without drawing much attention to it. Unfortunately, the hint was not heeded = (

Rude comments continued so I clarified my point with a more direct comment and a considerably firmer tone. The message was received loud and clear.

With the class returned to relative behavioral bliss, I capitalized on an opportunity to drop some birdy figurative.

"At this point in the year, I thought you guys would know better than to [read with a Shatneresque pause and slight inflection shift] GET MY HACKLES UP."

Confusion contorted faces beckoned an explanation. Just as I hoped!

"Some birds, like Cooper's Hawks, have feathers on the back of their head that raise up a little bit when they are stressed. These are called their hackles."

Silent nods of recognition chorused, "I should've known it was about birds!"

The accompanying giggles were clearly audible too.

No comments: