Tuesday, December 11, 2007

P2F - Duck Duck Grooms

Day 54 - Tues Dec 4: The Food Drive continues . . .
And so does the bird talk!

My "Pledge to Fledge" highlight today was in the form of a gift from a 7th grade student. She came in and announced, "Mr. Mag, I got a surprise for you!"

Turning toward the voice, I ended up eyeball to eyeball with a wooden waterfowl.

"I have no idea what this actually is but since it's a duck, I figured you would like it!"

How could I not appreciate such a thoughtful gesture?!

When the can-can craziness cooled down, I examined the fist-sized novelty in a vain attempt ID it's species. It's colorful face and flanks with black velvety plumage running from the belly through the vent meant suggested only one possibility. . .

A-ha! It's an Aix sponsa lintus, commonly known as a lint brush x Wood Duck hybrid.

Dabbling on my desk all week, this new bird accessory has elicited a few questions from my students.

No comments: