Sunday, October 7, 2007

P2F - Hear the Tea Kettle?!

Day 20 - Thurs Oct 4: An previous P2F post shared the quacking, clucking, and tweeting lunch table. Today there were new developments . . .

Lunch was going very smoothly today so I was able to mingle with each table a little bit. When I reached my onomatopoetic young ladies, I gave them an unofficial assignment. They could make bird noises when I walked by BUT the noises have to be authentic bird songs. They loked at me as if I sprouted another head or a set of wings. I gave them a simple example.

We talked about Carolina Wren which are readily found in the township and right at school. I described the cute little operatic star with a long string of adjectives to help them draw a mental picture. Then, one of them asked, "what sound does it make?"

After hearing the "tea-kettle, tea-kettle, tea-kettle" mnemonic, they were convinced that my mind was gone along with most of their lunch period.

I hope they join us for a morning walk sometime soon so they can hear it for themselves.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Bird calls on my ipod seem to spark kids interest.
So when I teach I use my ipod to let the kids know I am serious enough about birds to use space on my ipod. Thanks to my trwusty little radio shack speaker for $12.95