Sunday, October 7, 2007

P2F - Calliope Curiosity

Day 21 - Fri Oct 5: The curiosity noted above is mine! A few days ago, a male Calliope Hummingbird was discovered in a Cape May County yard. Naturally, I shared my burning desire to see this bird with my students.

Near the end of one of my classes, we discussed our plans for the weekend. Students had family parties, soccer games, and the usual pre-adolescent fair on tap. I piqued their curiosity by saying "wish me luck this weekend!"

I explained that I would be looking for our smallest North American bird and shared with them how far from "home" this tiny little bird has traveled. The reactions were mized. Most were confused. Others was amazed. A few could care less = (

Well, the bird was added to my life list on Saturday! Monday is my first life bird celebration with this year's students!!

No comments: