Thursday, May 3, 2007

Missing Merlins = (

I am often reminded of non-birders’ deprived lives. For some strange reason, this point has been illustrated at the wings of merlins several times in the past few months.

The first was perched on top of a telephone pole next a very busy thorofare. Hundreds of rush hours vehicles passed right by this beaufitul bird totally oblivious to the majestic little falcon.

The next was 3 weeks ago in my hometown. My daughter and I were heading to Mom-mom’s house for dinner. As we passed the local ballfield, a compact silhouette caught my eye in left field. We pulled over and caught a merlin in the bins. Since it was prepping its robin breast feast, I knew there was time to get out the scope. I debated whether or not to share the gruesome sight. My daughter’s excitement must have rivaled the bird’ own satisfaction. While we watched in awe, several cars drove by and a few dog walkers passed without even turning their heads from their routine.

The other day, I was driving to the gym and almost swerved off the road. This time it was 2 merlins showing off both their brazen nature and complete command of flight. These birds were harasasing a few local crows perched on a wire. They looked like air force stunt pilots out for a joy ride. Once again, this spectacular sight was missed by everyone that drove by, a few pedestrians, and a bike rider.

I really do feel bad for the avian deprived!

(originally posted Nov. 2006)

No comments: