Thursday, May 3, 2007

Dressing for the Birds

Birding shirts and ties are a staple in my work wardrobe. This avian based attire usually provokes a few passing comments from a students throughout the day.

For some reason, my loon tie generated many questions and extended conversations today. Even though I have worn this eye-catching blue and green accessory many times this year, it has never captivated so many people. The timing could not have been any better!

Just this weekend, my son and I shared the pleasure of watching 2 Common Loons floating down the Delaware River at close range . With each of their dives, his toddler toned giggle warmed me up on our chilly stroll around the Red Bank Battlefield in Gloucester County, NJ.

Many kids were saying things like “that tie is cool” or “those ducks are pretty.” Thanks to my recent sighting, I was armed with the perfect comeback, “I saw 2 of these loons this weekend - only a few minutes from here.” Their amazement that such interesting birds being ofund so close to home resulted in extended conversations about loons (and ducks). I always enjoy talking birds with my students but it’s even more special when they initiate and prolong the discussion!

On this particular day, not only my own students were talking birds but kids from other classes and grades were inquiring about the loons. By the end of the day, my favorite tie also helped pique a new birding interest for more than 20 students in the hallways and the cafeteria.

Today’s unexpected surge of bird inquiries illustrates the reason I always make sure to buy bird, and other nature related, clothing. It can be the perfect conversation starter that leads to a newly inspired birding curiosity.

Now, I need to contact the parents of all these new kids that want to come see the wintering waterfowl.

(originally posted Nov. 2006)

No comments: