Sunday, December 9, 2007

P2F - No Turkeys Tomorrow = (

Day 51 - Wed Nov 21: For the past several years, I have left my house early Thanksgiving morning for a turkey hunt.

We didn't need the bird for dinner. Some family member had a bird defrosted in their kitchen. Just thought it owuld be cool to find turkeys on Turkey Day. I have never succeeded in finding the big birds on their big day.

Even though we "failed", my daughter and I had a great time driving through Salem County looking for them last year. We had eagles, Snow Geese, and huge blackbirds flock. As we doubled back down a country road, we found a freshly dead Red-winged Blackbird that was not there 45 minutes earlier. I was surprised by my daughter's eagerness to evaluate the the beautiful plumage at close range. What a memorable experience for both of us! (She wanted to bring it home to show Mommy and her brother. Don't think my wife would have liked that too much!)

I found out yesterday that this year's trip would be pre-empted.

Our school's choir was performing at the Thanksgiving Day Parade in Philadelphia. I explained with great pride to each of my classes that their peers wold be on TV.

Of course, I also explained that my annual Turkey Day Turkey Search would be put aside to watch scan the small screen for my singing students. Naturally, the kids asked me many questions about wild turkeys and where they can be foudn in our area.

Come Thursday morning, guess what happened . . .

I had a turkey sighting! Ahd he was HUGE - not big, not large, simply HUGE!

OK - you got me. It was the Tom Turkey float in the parade. I guess that doesn't count = (

No comments: