Sunday, December 9, 2007

P2F - Mocking Some Kids

Day 47 - Thurs Nov 15: It's rather normal to hear students say things like, "Mr. Mag, Billy said I was . . . " or "She just told me to . . . "

But this morning was different.

The 6th grader rushes to my room to some harassment that occurred as he was waiting for the bus. He said a bird was "yelling over and over" from the top of small tree.

"Ok. What did it sound like?"

"It sounded was loud and rude."

Let's narrow it down from my 3 prime suspects.
"What did it look like?"

"It was like a grayish color. When it flew away, the wings were really white."

I turned and grabbed a field guide from the desk. I extended the book toward my young inquisitor while simultaneously flipping to the Mimids. The guide landed in front of his face just as the Northern Mockingbird page was reached. (If only the choreography had been planned!)

"That was it!"

"It's called a Northern Mockingbird. They can be really cool birds. They learn how to sing the songs of other birds."

"Was he mocking me this morning?!?!"

"Probably not."

No comments: