Wednesday, September 26, 2007

P2F - Weekend Update

Day 12 - Mon, Sept. 24: Monday morning homeroom is always interesting becuase the kids and I share our weekend highlights. At my turn today, I shared a story my 5 year old daughter playing nurse to an injured bird. It goes a little something like this . . .

We were just finishing breakfast at Ballyhoo's in Cape May when we heard a loud "plink" at the window. My daughter's expression was pure puzzlement.

My explanation that a bird probably hit the window piqued her curiosity and concern. She asked if we could go make sure it was ok. Once outside, we found a Magnolia Warbler teeteringly in a daze on the edge of a raised flowerbed. Gulls were circling overhead. We also spotted a cat in the area an hour earlier. My daughter begged to help the bird.

Given the lack of cover, we took the bird back to our hotel balcony and sat with it as it regained its wits. My daughter was delighted to share the experience with her little brother and mom. They were so proud when the bird safely took back to the sky!

Many of my students were quite interested in the story. Others were half asleep. But then again, it was Monday morning!

No comments: