Thursday, May 3, 2007

Lifer to Party

This has been an exciting birding week in New Jersey. Western Tanagers, Band-tailed Pigeon, and Long-billed Murrelet are just some of the highlights.

With so much around, I was fortunate to get a nice life bird on Sunday. As always, I brought in treats for my students to share the excitement of my new bird. Many of the kids remembered the term “life bird” from my celebratory snacks and Eared Grebe story a few months ago.

During Monday’s post lifer debriefing, I promised the kids there would be a full blown party when my life list reaches a certain level. The buzz started growing when they heard that I only needed 10 more birds AND would be traveling to Florida over Spring Break.

Now, teachers are being recruited to help build my life list. Kids have told some of their other teachers, “if you find a strange bird in your yard, please call Mr. Mag!” It’s nice to know the they’re geting into it a little bit.

As the kids were packing at the end of class today, I nonchalantly played some video taken of this weekend’s lifer. I immediately heard exclamations like “it’s his life bird!”, “Aww, he’s so cute!”, and my personal favorite “Wow - the Black-throated Gray Warbler really is awesome!!”

I have many new prospects for this year’s World Series of Birding team!!

(originally posted Jan. 2007)

No comments: