Monday, May 28, 2007

Chuck's Willing Widow

The family stopped at several Chuck-wills-widow spots last night n the way home from Cape May. Though Whip-poor-wills were quite vocal, not a single Chucks was heard.
Although my efforts have not been so exhaustive, this has been a nemesis bird that has eluded me. I checked e-mail before heading off to sleep only to find that a Chuck-will's-widow was heard much closer to home.

Knowing our Memorial Day would be busy, I doubted I would have the opportunity to try for this more local Chuck. Until . . .

I was talking to my niece and her friends at my brother's barbeque. They brought up a "ghost hunting" excursion we went on last summer. They were asking when we could have a similar adventure. This was my opening!

I launched into storytelling mode about the mysterious death of "Charles Hawkin" more than 100 years ago. I explained that after his premature passing the local villagers took great care in providing for his unfortunate widow. They showered her with gifts, paid for anything she needed, and catered to her every whim. Upon the widow's death, a friend found her diary in which the widow confessed to killing her own husband.

The kids were hanging on my every word.

I continued to explain that the "ghost" can be heard along Hawkin Road as he tries to identify his murderess to passers-by with the phrase "Chuck's willing widow". At this point, they were nearly begging me to go hear the "ghost".

I picked them up promptly at 8pm. We drove to Hawkin Road and slowly cruised back and forth. With the first sound of Whips in the distance, I pulled over and killed the engine.

We were on the dark, deserted road's shoulder for about 3 minutes when a Chuck-will's-widow started calling. The four teenagers were nervously giddy to hear the distant "voice". After a few minutes of silence, the bird called from a much closer position. The first reprise was met with a gasp. Then one of them said, "it almost sounds like a bird".

The show was over but the lesson just started. They were asking many questions. We discussed many facts about the bird. Collectively, they seemed most intrigued by the Chuck's migration from Central/South America.

They all said they were going to show their parents and friends the bird online. I have the feeling I may be bringing another load of unwitting friends to find Mr. Hawkin's muttering "ghost"!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I bet there are lots of birds you could do something like that with. Good thing the kids didn't get too scared!